Barrowford is a linear village situated
to the north of Nelson.It has 17th and 18th century farmhouses and
handloom weavers' cottages alongside the later 19th and 20th century
mills. Pendle Water streams through the center of the settlement
past historic Park Hill, home of the Pendle Heritage Centre and
the beginning of the Pendle Way.
The Packhorse Bridge near Higherford Mill is the oldest in Barrowford,
dating back to the end of the 16th century. It formerly lay on the
old main road to Gisburn which was superseded by the Turnpike road
built in 1804.
Although most of the mills have long since gone from Barrowford
there is still one remaining - the East Lancs Towel Company, founded
in 1932 in the Park Mill in Halstead Lane. One of the very last
mill type properties was (March 1999) demolished; the Carrington
Viyella plant on Gisburn Road.